Tonya James-Gordon Educational Scholarship – California
In recognition of her services of helping others, the Tonya James-Gordon Scholarship has been established.
(For Florida Scholarships, please visit: http://barbaraseniorsharkinsfoundation.org/scholarship-florida/)
Ms. James-Gordon was a Contributor to the foundation up until the time of her death. The Foundation decided to honor her by establishing a scholarship in her honor, for students in the Compton, California School District. Each year one boy and girl will be awarded the scholarship.
The $250.00 award will be given this year to one high school senior from the Compton area. The Senior must meet the following criteria:
- A cumulative 2.5 or above grade point average.
- Have been accepted by a junior college or four-year university.
- An active member of their community, volunteer, involved in church
- Must attend one of the high schools in the Compton School District.
- Single Parent Family
In addition to the above criteria, the applicant must submit the following forms:
- Application Form
- An attached letter of recommendation from a teacher.
- A letter of recommendation from a church leader.
- A letter of recommendation from a community/volunteer organization leader.
- A copy of his/her transcript.
- Proof of college enrollment.
- A 500-800 word essay not to exceed two pages doubled space typed on one of the following topics:
- Write about one of your passions and how you believe pursuing this passion will make you a better person.
- How can pursuing a specific area of study in college help you make positive contributions to your community and/or the world?
- Write about an experience that changed your life for the better.
- Write about an experience in which you changed another person’s life for the better.
Entry Deadline: Friday, June 8, 2018.
Mail Completed Entries To:
Dr. Barbara Seniors Harkins Foundation
c/o Elisia Harkins
10924 Maza Street
Norwalk, CA 90650
All entries must be received by the deadline date at the address noted above (not a postmark date). Entries must be complete or they will not be eligible for consideration.
For questions, please call (305) 203 – 4554 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.