OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES – SHORT FILMS
BSHF FilmFlix is an annual event held by the Dr. Barbara Seniors Harkins Foundation, a non-profit whose goal is to serve as a showcase for short films by talented young filmmakers. Join us in our inaugural year and submit your work!
A pool of films will be selected by a committee of industry professionals who view the entries. Winners will be awarded by a judging panel of industry professionals in the following categories:
- Narrative Short
- Documentary Short
Our showcase is for individual youth filmmakers, ages 11-17, students may submit as a group. An individual aged 18 who is still in high school may enter. Entrants must be residing in the United States.
Deadline + Fee
Regular Deadline: Friday, March 31, 2017 – $10
Late Deadline: Friday, May 26, 2017 – $10
- Submission: ALL films must be submitted through FilmFreeway.com (https://filmfreeway.com/festival/BSHFFilmFlix). Be aware that if you do not already have an account, you will need to create one. Creating an account is free. Please do so before the deadline.
We will not be accepting submissions on Blu-ray or DVD.
- Filmmakers may submit only one film and all films must be complete. Works-in-progress will not be considered.
- To be considered for competition, the film must have been completed after January 1, 2016.
- Length of Film: 10 minutes or less (including credits). We encourage the submission of shorter works so that we can showcase more filmmakers.
- Non-English entries must be submitted with English subtitles.
- Notification Process: We will make every effort to notify filmmakers of the status of their films by mid-April prior to the festival.
- Groups/Classes: You are welcome to submit films as a group/class. If your film wins an award, only one award will be given. The rest of the group will receive a certificate.
- The film may not be copyrighted by anyone other than yourself or you must have full written permission to submit and screen this film. The film must have clear copyright of all audio and images presented in the film. Not having clearance could be grounds for non-acceptance to the festival.
Please ensure if you are submitting a film that contains copyrighted/trademarked material by anyone other than yourself, that you have obtained clearance for that material used. The burden of determining that any material is not protected by copyright, trademark, rights of privacy, publicity or any other proprietary rights rests with the entrant.
Entry Fees: All entry fees are nonrefundable.
AWARDS & PRIZES
The winning videos will play on our website. Our industry professional judges will also help us determine various awards in the following categories: Directing, Cinematography, and Editing (certificates will be awarded to the category winners). These honors will be announced online and all selected filmmakers will receive awards/certificates in the mail.
The awards to be distributed will be:
- 1st Place (overall): Amazon Fire Tablet*
- 2nd Place (overall): JBL wireless Headsets*
- 3rd Place (overall): 50.00 Apple or Best Buy Gift Card**The director will receive the prize and the production team will receive certificates.
Films for the BSHF FilmFlix is open to short films completed after January 1, 2016.
All winning projects will screen online on our website for three weeks starting August 1, 2017 and will credit the submitter. Entrant agrees to the use of their submission, in part or whole, for publicity, promotions, and screenings on the Dr. Barbara Seniors Harkins Foundation website and in other media. The Dr. Barbara Seniors Harkins Foundation and/or BSHF FilmFlix watermark/logo may be added to or shown in conjunction with submitted films. Submission of your film confirms your acceptance of these terms. If you have any questions, contact us prior to film submission.
The films are evaluated anonymously by a group of industry professionals to determine awards for the top three overall films and in the following categories: directing, cinematography, and editing.